Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why am I being asked to verify my identity?
What should I expect to do for the identity verification process?
In order to verify your identity you will be required to do the following:
- Provide your official name and nationality
- Upload a clear photograph of a government-issued photo ID
- Take a "selfie" photo using your webcam
Identity Verification Troubleshooting
Fully visible and in focus: name, photo, date of birth and ID number clearly showing.
Hard/impossible to read. Blurry photo: the result of bad lighting and an unsteady hand.
Uploading your photo ID:
- The following documents types are accepted: passport, drivers license, country issued ID card
- Ensure that your document is valid and not expired, without damage or modifications
- Ensure the ID is fully visible and in focus. The photograph must show the entire document and not have any corners or sides cut off. It helps to take the photo in a well-lit area (natural sunlight is best) without glare
- The document should be uploaded in an upright direction and should not be tilted to the left or right
- Make sure the app or program you use to take the pictures does not add any logos or watermarks
- File formats supported are JPG/JPEG and PNG, not more than 2MB in size
- Once again, it is critical that you do not block or cover any information on the ID
Head and shoulders clearly visible and positioned in centre of frame with no backlighting.
Face is not fully visible.
Taking a "selfie" photo of your face:
- This must be a clear headshot
- Face the camera directly and position your shoulders to the top of your head in the frame, like a passport or ID photo
- Make sure the light is coming from in front of you, not behind you, such that your face is clearly visible without backlighting
- Use a plain wall as a background if possible
- Your eyes must be clearly visible. If you wear glasses, make sure there are no reflections on the glasses
- This photo must be matched with your ID photo. If you are wearing glasses in your ID photo, wear them in your selfie photo. If you are not wearing glasses in your ID photo, remove them for your selfie photo
- Do not wear sunglasses or hats, unless you were wearing these articles in your official ID photo
- Upload your photo in the upright/portrait direction (exactly how it looks in your ID document)
How do I find out the results of the verification process?
You'll be notified of the verification status by email, at the address you used to create your Iris account. This process typically takes up to 48 hours to be completed, but it can be much faster or slower, depending on a plethora of factors.